We lost 2019 to Charter Day to storms.
We lost 2020 Charter Day to Covid-19.
Now we lost 2021 Charter Day to Covid-19 AGAIN!
2022 Charter Day is ON!
Real Time Weather Update
Get ready for a fun filled street fair and festival on Saturday, May 21 2022 in the Historic Basking Ridge Village as Charter Day is BACK!
On Charter Day – Add Your Photos to the Charter Day Instagram Wall.
ADD #btcharterday to your Instagram or Facebook post!
Charter Day Street Fair Schedule
- 12:00 Opening Ceremonies – Town Crier Hank opens the day on the main stage
- 12:00 – 6:00 – Amusements on Oak Street school field – vendors, food, and organizations showcase
- Live performances and presentations will offered by local bands and organizations, including youths from the Greater Somerset County YMCA, the Gotta Dance studio, the Tree House childcare center and the Basking Ridge Indian community.
- Musical entertainment kicks off at 12:40 p.m. with The Pettet Sisters. Harper Lovey & the Waitlist are scheduled take the stage at 2 p.m.
- Student art exhibit and the Essence of Bernards photography exhibit
- Live entertainment including musical and dance performances, demonstrations, strolling magicians and more.
- The Jamestown Duo will perform at 3:20 p.m., with Blue Suburban Skies playing at 5 p.m.
- The day ends at 6:00pm. The evening concert is no longer part of the event. Info [email protected]
Make your own history in 2022 by bringing your camera – or smartphone & post pictures of your friends, kids, pets, your festive table or any other Charter Day activities on our community Facebook page! We’re also on Twitter and Instagram. Post and hashtag #btcharterday (see the online album below). Make your own history!
Celebrate Bernards Township
Expect visitors to the downtown Basking Ridge section of Bernards Twp celebration to reach over 10,000 as the festivities commence with the Town Crier conducting the opening ceremonies on the downtown green at 12pm.
The annual event, coordinated by the Bernards Twp Recreation Department is an annual event that promises to be a fun and festive day with food, games, rides for the kids, local vendors, art displays, service groups and reminders of history all joined together at this annual street fair and festival right in the heart of the Bernards Twp section of downtown Basking Ridge. The celebration started back on May 20, 1995 and has run every year since except for a few weather and COVID-19 cancellations. The original Charter of Bernardston was signed May 24, 1760.
Interactive Map – Charter Day
Just click on the map to zoom around or find parking areas.
Why We Celebrate Charter Day
Charter Day commemorates the Saturday,May 24, 1760. anniversary of the granting of a township Charter by King George II of England, establishing Bernardston Township. This act was as a courtesy and in appreciation for the services of Sir Francis Bernard, Royal Governor of New Jersey. From January 27, 1758 to July 4, 1760 Sir Francis Bernard, son of a British Reverend was appointed for two years as Royal Governor of New Jersey.
First Charter Day Street Fair – May 17,1995
This post is operated by the Mr. Local History Project to provide information and details as it relates to the history of the Charter of Bernardston, the history of Charter Day, and events sponsored by the Bernards Township Recreation Department and its volunteer organizations.
For additional questions about the Bernards Twp Charter Day Festival or the official schedule visit www.bernards.org