For your consideration……
Late December and early January are great times to reflect on the year passed and stories that presented themselves. The Mr. Local History Project looks back at the top 10 stories uncovered for 2021 based on reviews made by the editorial board. Don’t get us wrong, we love all of the stories that were researched or recommended by our readership. 2021 was also a growing year for the Mr. Local History Project as our trustees expanded along with our coverage.
This year marked a start to stories not only in the Somerset Hills of northern Somerset County, New Jersey, but we now have stories from Westfield, Cranford, Newark, Keyport and are continuing to expand across New Jersey covering local history stories that opens our eyes to the great local history in New Jersey. Here’s to looking back to 2021 and to an even better dive into our collective local history in 2022.
Top 10 Recommended Stories for 2021
Honoring the 100th Anniversary of Far Hills, New Jersey – Get a Limited Edition Keepsake
Retrospective: Westfield’s Iconic Jolly Trolley – A town hangout that has never been matched or replaced.
2021 Mr. Local History Project Achievements
Thanks everyone for a great year studying, presenting, and sharing local history across New Jersey. Here’s what was accomplished:
- Far Hills 100th Anniversary – Map Giveaway
- #growlocalhistoryproject – Free sunflower seeds program
- Five Mr. Local History Online Magazines
- History Makers High School Teens Program
- Scholarship Donation Gifts – Give a Donation / Get a Gift Program
- Walking Tour of Historic Basking Ridge Village – LIVE
- Lamington House Bedminster – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Honoring NJ Diners – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Presbyterian Church Westfield NJ– New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Mindowaskin Park Westfield NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Rialto Theater Westfield NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Cranford Canoe Club – Cranford NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Cranford Cinema– Cranford NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Bernardsville Cinema – Bernardsville NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Jeroloman’s General Store – Bernardsville NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Lyons VA – Bernards Township NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Vealtown Tavern – Bernardsville, NJ – New Jersey Historic Village Wooden Collectible
- Education Programs – Bernards Township 3rd Grade Zoom Education presentations
- Scholarship – $500 award to Pari Mandalapu of Ridge High School
- Small Business Saturday Participant
- Giving Tuesday Participant
- Haunted Walking Tour of Basking Ridge Village – LIVE
- #GivingTuesday participant
- Trustee Brooks Betz appointed as official Bernards Township, NJ historian
- Festival of Trees participant EEC Somerset County – HisTrees MysTrees
- Make a Wish Giving Tree – Ridge Dentistry
- Aerial Drone Program – Historic venue imaging
- BRBA Winter Market & Tree Lighting
- Year End Giving Campaign – Community Support for MLH Scholarships
Support the Mr. Local History Project
Please consider donating to our cause to preserve and promote local history with a social twist!
Did you have a 2021 Favorite?
Let us know below if you have a favorite.
History Doesn’t Write Itself.
Support our efforts with a contribution
Like elite athletes at their peak, our history journalists are highly trained in the art of digging up history. It takes skill, endurance and and pure will typing to deliver interesting stories of the life and times of the great history in New Jersey and the areas you love.
And that all costs more than just our time and energy. So we’re asking you to support us with more than your attention.
If you enjoy reading stories like these from our volunteer writers, please make a contribution today.
You’ll help power the dedicated team behind this story and hundreds of others like it.
And your contribution is TAX DEDUCTIBLE as we are a IRS recognized 501C-3 non-profit education charitable organization.